WHAT WE FUND
THE 2015 GRANT CYCLE IS NOW CLOSED.
Supporting New and Innovative Programs in the L.A. Jewish Community
The Foundation's Cutting Edge Grants encourages creative thinkers, social entrepreneurs and innovative organizations to propose significant and transformative programs of high visibility and impact. The Foundation is interested in funding cutting edge programs for up to $250,000 over a three-year period that address important needs in the Los Angeles Jewish community.
The Cutting Edge Grant process spans a 9 month period. Award are generally approved and announced in July of each year.
HOW TO APPLY
Before applying for a Cutting Edge Grant, organizations are strongly encouraged to attend our Grantseekers Workshop in the fall.
To receive information about the 2016 Cutting Edge Grants process, first review the Eligibility Checklist below to determine if your program meets the criteria.
If you believe your program meets the criteria, please email email@example.com to be added to the Cutting Edge Grants email list.
You may also view a list of previous Cutting Edge Grant recipients.
To be eligible for a Cutting Edge Grant, you must meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Existing nonprofit organization 501(c)(3) or a collaboration of nonprofit agencies
- Social entrepreneur(s) or group of community activists partnered with an appropriate fiscal sponsor.
Program must fit into one of these categories:
- Cutting edge programs that have not been tested previously in any location
- Programs that have been piloted in Los Angeles, proved to be viable and are proposed for community-wide implementation
- Programs operating elsewhere in the United States that may be suitable for trial replication or adaptation in the Los Angeles area
- Programs developed by a social entrepreneur or group of social activists (where a board of directors and/or nonprofit status have not yet been established), designed to lead to a new charitable organization and partnered in the interim with an appropriate nonprofit fiscal sponsor
Eligible programs are:
- Programs that offer significant benefits and the capacity to transform the Los Angeles Jewish community
- Program that have unique elements that set it apart from existing programs and make it a cutting edge innovation
- Programs that are aligned with, and appropriate to, the applicant organization's mission
- Applicants that have substantiated a community need for the proposed program
- Programs with clearly articulated short- and long-term measurable outcomes
The following types of programs and applicants are excluded from consideration for this grant category:
- Individuals, private foundations or endowment programs
- Individual synagogues or day schools (consortia of at least 3 synagogues or Jewish Day Schools will be considered)
- Organizations awarded a previous Cutting Edge Grant that will not be concluded by July 2014
- Ongoing general operating expenses, including fundraising campaigns and existing financial deficits
- Programs based on travel
- Capital projects
- Programs not proposed for implementation in Los Angeles
- Film/documentary, research-based and web-based projects