THE 2016 GRANT CYCLE IS NOW OPEN.
Please review the "How do I apply?" section below to learn about our Grantseekers Workshop on 10/22.
What is a Cutting Edge Grant?
The Foundation's Cutting Edge Grants program supports new and innovative programs in the Los Angeles Jewish community. We encourage creative thinkers, social entrepreneurs and innovative organizations to propose significant and transformative programs of high visibility and impact.
How much funding is available?
We fund cutting edge programs for up to $250,000 over a multi-year period that address important needs in the L.A. Jewish community.
The Cutting Edge Grant selection process spans a 9-month period. Awards are generally announced in July of each year with first payments process in September of each year.
How do I apply?
Before applying for a Cutting Edge Grant, organizations are strongly encouraged to attend our Grantseekers Workshop on Thursday October 22,2015. At this 2-hour workshop, you will learn about our grant process, criteria and how to best complete a competitive application. Applications will not be distributed prior to the Grantseekers Workshop.
To receive a registration form for the Workshop, first review the Eligibility Criteria below to determine if your program meets the criteria.
Then, submit the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org (please limit your responses to no more than 3 sentences per bullet below):
- Brief description of your organization with link to website, if applicable
- Brief description of your proposed program
- Aspects of the proposed program that are both cutting edge and set it apart from other similar programs
You may also view a list of previous Cutting Edge Grant recipients.
Applicant must be ONE of the following:
- A nonprofit organization with 501(c)3 status (exception: synagogues and Jewish day schools must apply as a consortium of at least 3)
- A social entrepreneur(s) with appropriate 501(c)3 fiscal sponsor*
- A collaborative of nonprofit organizations
*If you are a fiscal sponsor or a social entrepreneur seeking to apply with a fiscal sponsor, please review our Fiscal Sponsorship Guidelines.
Applicant must demonstrate ALL of the following:
- Capacity to launch and sustain a new program.
- Board commitment
- Strong organizational leadership
- Mission alignment between the organization and the new program
Applicants that are current or past grantees:
- If your operating budget is greater than $5 million and you meet the above criteria, you may be eligible to apply.
- If your operating budget is less than $5 million, your grant period must be complete for at least 1 year before you are eligible to apply.
Program must be ONE of the following:
- A new model not previously tested: A cutting edge program that has not been previously tested in any location and that will result in a new model. This may include:
- Existing organizations that launch new programs.
- Social entrepreneurs that launch new organizations and programs.
- A community-wide implementation of a successfully piloted program: A cutting edge program that has been piloted in L.A., proven to be viable and is proposed for community-wide implementation.
- An adaptation of a successful program for L.A.: A cutting edge program operating elsewhere in the U.S. that may be suitable for replication or adaptation in the L.A. area.
Program must demonstrate ALL of the following:
- Unique in concept, design and implementation, with cutting edge elements that set it apart from existing programs.
- Community need, interest and support
- Potential to significantly benefit the L.A. Jewish community or a sizable demographic within the Jewish community
- Clear, specific and measurable goals, activities, outcomes and data collection methods and an understanding of how your activities and outcomes further your overall program vision
- Feasibility in terms of implementation and a realistic timeline
- A clear vision and strategies for sustaining your program following the 3 year launch period.
- Opportunity for significant visibility for The Foundation
Cutting Edge Grants are not awarded to:
- Organizations with operating budgets less than $5 million that have an open Cutting Edge Grant
- Individual synagogues or day schools
- Private foundations and private non-operating foundations
- Endowment programs
Cutting Edge Grants do not fund:
- Operational support
- Capacity building
- Program expansion
- Programs based on travel
- Building/renovation projects
- Research programs
- Programs not proposed for implementation in L.A.
- Film/documentary projects