THE CALL FOR PROPOSALS FOR 2015 CUTTING EDGE GRANTS IS OUT NOW!
If you think you may qualify for a Cutting Edge Grant and would like to attend our Grantseekers Workshop on October 29, please first review our Eligibility Checklist below and then submit the following to email@example.com (please limit your responses to no more than 3 sentences per bullet below):
- Brief description of your organization with link to website, if applicable
- Brief description of your proposed program
- Aspects of the proposed program that are both cutting edge and set it apart from other similar programs
New and Innovative Programs in the L.A. Jewish Community
The Foundation's Cutting Edge Grants encourages creative thinkers, social entrepreneurs and innovative organizations to propose significant and transformative programs of high visibility and impact. The Foundation is interested in funding cutting edge programs for up to $250,000 over a three-year period that address important needs in the Los Angeles Jewish community.
The Foundation awards grants up to $250,000 over a 3 year period.
Application Process and Deadlines
The grantmaking process for Cutting Edge Grants spans a 9 month period. Key dates generally follow the schedule below:
- Grantseekers Workshop - October 29
- Concept Paper Due - November
- Selected Concept Papers Invited to Submit Full Application - February
- Full Applications Due - March
- Grant Awards Announced - July
To be eligible for a Cutting Edge Grant, you must meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Existing nonprofit organization 501(c)(3) or a collaboration of nonprofit agencies
- Social entrepreneur(s) or group of community activists partnered with an appropriate fiscal sponsor.
The following types of programs that benefit the Los Angeles Jewish community are eligible for consideration:
- Cutting edge programs that have not been tested previously in any location
- Programs that have been piloted in Los Angeles, proved to be viable and are proposed for community-wide implementation
- Programs operating elsewhere in the United States that may be suitable for trial replication or adaptation in the Los Angeles area
- Programs developed by a social entrepreneur or group of social activists (where a board of directors and/or nonprofit status have not yet been established), designed to lead to a new charitable organization and partnered in the interim with an appropriate nonprofit fiscal sponsor
When selecting programs for funding, we seek:
- Programs that offer significant benefits and the capacity to transform the Los Angeles Jewish community
- Programs that are aligned with, and appropriate to, the applicant organization's mission
- Applicants that have substantiated a community need for the proposed program
- Programs with clearly articulated short- and long-term measurable outcomes
The following types of programs and applicants are excluded from consideration for this grant category:
- Individuals, private foundations or endowment programs
- Individual synagogues or day schools (consortia of at least 3 synagogues or Jewish Day Schools will be considered)
- Organizations awarded a previous Cutting Edge Grant that will not be concluded by July 2014
- Ongoing general operating expenses, including fundraising campaigns and existing financial deficits
- Programs based on travel
- Capital projects
- Programs not proposed for implementation in Los Angeles
- Film/documentary, research-based and web-based projects
If you can answer "YES" to ALL of these questions, your program may be eligible for a Cutting Edge Grant:
- Does your organization serve the Los Angeles Jewish community?
- Are you either a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization or a group of social entrepreneur(s) with a nonprofit organization serving as your fiscal sponsor?
- Is your program aligned with the mission of the applicant organization or partnering fiscal sponsor?
- Does your program address a substantiated community need and have the capacity to transform the Los Angeles Jewish community?
- Does your program have unique elements that set it apart from existing programs and make it a cutting edge innovation?
- Does your program fall into one of these categories?
- A program that has not yet been tested in any location
- A program that has been piloted in Los Angeles, proved to be viable and is proposed for community-wide implementation
- A program operating elsewhere in the United States that may be suitable for trial replication or adaptation in the Los Angeles area
- A program that is developed by social entrepreneurs and will lead to a new charitable organization (nonprofit status and/or a board of directors has not yet been established)
Are you certain that you are NOT seeking support for ANY of these?
- A private foundation or endowment program
- A previous Cutting Edge Grant recipient whose Foundation grant will still be active in the same year as the request
- Ongoing general operating support
- A fundraising campaign
- To offset an existing financial deficit
- A program based on travel
- Capital projects
- A program proposed for implementation outside of Los Angeles