Mark Lainer works in real estate development and investments. He joined The Foundation's Board of Trustees in 1986 and served as its chair from 2001 to 2005. Mr. Lainer is a member of the Board of Directors of California State University, Northridge Foundation. He has been an officer of the Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles and serves on its Board of Directors. His current community positions include serving on the Board of Directors of American Jewish University and its Ziegler School of Rabbinic Studies (where he was its founding chair), as well serving on the board of Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life, Hillel 818 in the San Fernando Valley, and Builders of Jewish Education (BJE) in Los Angeles. He was a founder and Board member of the Los Angeles Jewish Journal. Additionally, he was founder and Board member of New Jewish Community High School, Abraham Joshua Heschel Day School in Northridge (where he was also its founding president) and Ilan Ramon Day School in Agoura. Mr. Lainer serves on the Strategic Planning and Distribution Committee of the Los Angeles Jewish Federation and is a past chair of its Planning & Allocations and Project Renewal Committees.
He was an officer of Temple Valley Beth Shalom in Encino; an officer of the Council of Jewish Federations; and on the Board of Trustees of the Jewish Federations of North America. Mr. Lainer also served as a director of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California, representing the city of Los Angeles. Born in Caracas, Venezuela, Mr. Lainer spent the first years of his life in Mexico City and moved to Los Angeles at age 12. He received a degree in accounting from UCLA and a law degree from Harvard Law School.
- Real estate
Community Leadership Summary:
- Foundation trustee and past chair
- Member, Board of Directors of California State University, Northridge Foundation
- Trustee and past officer, Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles
- Founding chair and trustee, American Jewish University and its Ziegler School of Rabbinic Studies
- Trustee, Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life, and Hillel 818 in the San Fernando Valley
- Trustee and past chair, Builders of Jewish Education of Los Angeles
- Founder and trustee, Los Angeles Jewish Journal
- Founder and past trustee, New Community Jewish High School,Abraham Joshua Heschel Day School, Ilan Ramon Day School
- Member, The Jewish Federation's Strategic Planning & Distribution Committee
- Past chair, The Jewish Federation's Planning & Allocations Committee, and Project Renewal Committee