Philanthropy Resource List
Building a Legacy Through Strategic Giving
- Arrillaga-Andreessen, L. Giving 2.0: Transform Your Giving and Our World. Jossey-Bass, 2011.
- Brest, P & H. Harvey. Money Well Spent: A Strategic Plan for Smart Philanthropy. Bloomberg Press, 2008.
- Bronfman, C. The Art of Giving: Where the Soul Meets a Business Plan. Jossey-Bass, 2010.
- Gary, T & N. Adess. Inspired Philanthropy: Your Step-by-Step Guide to Creating a Giving Plan and Leaving a Legacy. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2007.
- Johnson, K. The Power of Legacy and Planned Gifts: How Nonprofits and Donors Work Together to Change the World. Jossey-Bass, 2010.
- Morino, M. Leap of Reason: Managing to Outcomes in an Era of Scarcity. Venture Philanthropy Partners, 2011.
- Ottinger, R. Beyond Success: Building a Personal, Financial, and Philanthropic Legacy. McGraw-Hill, 2008.
- Tierney, T. J. & J. L. Fleishman. Give Smart: Philanthropy that Gets Results. Public Affairs, 2011.
Families & Intergenerational Giving
- Collier, C. W. Wealth in Families. Harvard, 2006.
- Gallo, E.; Gallo, J. & K. Gallo. Silver Spoon Kids: How Successful Parents Raise Responsible Children. McGraw-Hill, 2011.
- Gersick, K. Generations of Giving: Leadership and Continuity in Family Foundations. Lexington Books, 2004.
- Goldberg, A. & K. Pittelman. Creating Change Through Family Philanthropy: The Next Generation. Soft Scull Press, 2006.
- Hughes, J. E. Family: The Compact Among Generations. Bloomberg Press, 2007.
- Hughes, J. E. Family Wealth - Keeping It in the Family: How Family Members and Their Advisers Preserve Human, Intellectual, and Financial Assets for Generations. Bloomberg Press, 2004.
- Morris, R. Kids, Wealth, and Consequences: Ensuring a Responsible Future for the Next Generation. Bloomberg Press, 2010.
- Williams, R. & V. Preisser. Philanthropy, Heirs & Values: How Successful Families Are Using Philanthropy to Prepare Their Heirs For Post-transition Responsibilities. Robert Reed Publishers, 2010.
- Willis, T. C. Navigating the Dark Side of Wealth: A Life Guide for Inheritors. New Concord Press, 2003.
- Zeiler, F. A Kid's Guide to Giving. Innovative Kids, 2006.
Grantmaking Focus: Capacity Building
- Edelsberg, C. From Strength to Greater Strength: How Capacity-Building Grants Elevate Organizations. San Francisco: GrantCraft, A Service of Foundation Center, 2015.
- Pond, A. & J. Bokoff. Supporting Grantee Capacity: Strengthening Effectiveness Together. GrantCraft, A Service of Foundation Center, 2015.
- Stevens, S. K. Nonprofit Lifecycles: Stage-based Wisdom for Nonprofit Capacity. Wayzata, MN: Stagewise Enterprises Inc., 2002.
- Strengthening Nonprofit Capacity. Grantmakers for Effective Organizations, 2015.
Grantmaking Focus: General Operating Support
- Abadia, M.G., & J. Lin. Nonprofit Cost Analysis Toolkit: Six Steps to Finding the True Costs of Programs. The Bridgespan Group, 2009.
- Gregory, A.G., & D. Howard. The Nonprofit Starvation Cycle. Stanford Social Innovation Review, 2009.
- Morino, M. Leap of Reason: Managing to Outcomes in an Era of Scarcity. Venture Philanthropy Partners in Partnership with McKinsey & Company, Morino Institute, 2011.
- New OMB Uniform Guidance on Indirect Costs. National Council of Nonprofits, 2014.
- Shoemaker, P. Re-Constructing Philanthropy from the Outside-in: A Funder-to-Funder Point of View. Social Venture Partners, Fall 2009.
- Taylor, A., Harold, J., & K. Berger. The Overhead Myth. Letter in partnership with Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance, Guidestar USA, and Charity Navigator, October 2014.
Jewish Innovation & Leadership
- Dikoff, S.W. & L. Landles-Cobb. Leadership Pipelines Initiative: Cultivating the Next Generation of Leaders for Jewish Nonprofits. The Bridgespan Group, 2014.
- Funding Jewish Innovation: A Resource Guide - A Collaboration between Jewish Communal Fund and Slingshot. Jewish Communal Fund and Slingshot, 2014.
- From First Fruits to Abundant Harvest: Maximizing the Potential of Innovative Jewish Start-Ups. New York and New Haven: Bikkurim and Wellspring Consulting, 2012.
- Jewish Leadership Pipelines Alliance (newly formed coalition in response to the Bridgespan study above).
- 2015 State of the Nonprofit Sector. Nonprofit Finance Fund, 2015.
- Bugg-Levine, A. Moving Beyond Business as Usual. The Center of Effective Philanthropy, 2012.
- Cornelius, M., Moyers, R. & J. Bell. Daring to Lead 2011: A National Study of Nonprofit Executive Leadership. CompassPoint Nonprofit Services and the Meyer Foundation, 2011.
- Council on Foundations. The Complete Guide to Grantmaking Basics: A Field Guide for Funders. Council on Foundations, 2008.
- Zunz, Olivier. Philanthropy in America: A History. Princeton University Press, 2012.
Women & Philanthropy
- Damen, Margaret May. Women, Wealth and Giving: The Virtuous Legacy of the Boom Generation. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2010.
- Shaw-Hardy, Sondra; Taylor, Martha; Beaudoin-Schwartz, Buffy. Women and Philanthropy: Boldly Shaping a Better World. Jossey-Bass, 2010.
Additional Recommended Reading Lists by Topic: