A Donor Advised Fund is an easy, flexible, and effective way to make charitable donations to organizations and causes that are important to you. It is like a charitable checking account that you can use to recommend grants to recipients of your own choosing at any time, all while qualifying for significant tax benefits.
Here’s how it works:
- Start with a simple letter of agreement and a contribution of $5,000 or more in cash, securities, and other assets*
- Enjoy 24/7 online access to your fund
- Recommend grants of $100 or more
- Make additional, tax-deductible contributions at any time
- Tax receipts for online donations are available immediately via email and PDF
- Learn about all your investment options.
Once your fund is established, you are ready to make grants. You may already have a charity in mind, or you can meet with our Center for Designed Philanthropy to identify outstanding programs and organizations that address the causes you most care about. You can submit grant recommendations through our online donor services portal. You make the recommendations, we handle the administrative details.
Customized Service & Professional Expertise:
Our Center for Designed Philanthropy provides the resources, expertise, and connections to design thoughtful giving strategies tailored to your needs.
Review a Donor Advised Fund agreement and explore how to get started.
*The Foundation’s annual fee is 1.5% of the Donor Advised Fund’s assets, a portion of which funds The Foundation’s grants programs.
- Foundation Senior Vice President Dan Rothblatt's advice on how to maximize your giving in Contributing to Philanthropy
- Foundation donor stories in our Stories of Giving