A Donor Advised Fund is an easy, flexible, and tax effective way to make charitable donations to organizations and causes that are important to you. It is like a charitable checking account that you can use to recommend grants to recipients of your own choosing at any time.
Here’s how it works:
- Start with a simple letter of agreement and a contribution of $5,000 or more in cash, securities, and other assets
- Enjoy 24/7 online access to your fund
- Recommend grants of $100 or more
- Make additional, tax-deductible contributions at any time
- Tax receipts for online donations are available immediately via email and PDF
- Explore our investment options
Once your fund is established, you are ready to make grants. You may already have a charity in mind, or our Center for Designed Philanthropy can identify outstanding programs and organizations that address the causes you most care about. You can submit grant recommendations through our online donor services portal and we handle the administrative details.
Top 10 Reasons to Open a Donor Advised Fund
Conduct all of your charitable giving through one centralized fund dedicated entirely to your philanthropic pursuits.
- Engage Your Family
Donor Advised Funds (DAFs) are an ideal way to involve the next generation of your family by engaging them in grantmaking.
- Recommend grants
You can recommend an unlimited number of grant distributions (minimum $100) from your fund at no additional charge.
- Grantmaking support and expertise
We can provide guidance about emerging issues, cutting edge nonprofits, and giving opportunities locally, nationally and in Israel.
- Maximum tax advantage*
For each contribution to your fund, you qualify for an immediate fair-market-value tax deduction.
- 24/7 online access
Through our secure and confidential Donor Services Online, you can review your fund history, recommend grants, and make contributions any time with a credit card or check (ACH).
- Modest cost
The Foundation charges your fund a modest annual fee.
- Affordable alternative to a private family foundation
With a DAF, you can carry out your charitable giving more simply and cost effectively than a private family foundation.
- Build a permanent family legacy
A DAF can be the first step toward building a permanent legacy. When you create your fund, you can decide how it should be used when you pass away or are no longer able to serve as the fund's advisor.
- Personalized service
When you call during our business hours, you can directly reach our donor relations team who will help with your charitable giving.
*The Foundation does not provide legal or tax advice. Please consult your professional advisor.
When you open a Donor Advised Fund, you have access to these benefits:
- Expert advice and resources from our Center for Designed Philanthropy.
- Our complimentary events, such as our donor appreciation event at LACMA, educational luncheons with top experts in philanthropy and other fields, and more.
- Donor Services Online—our convenient and secure 24/7 online portal for your fund.
- Annual Giving Impact Report summarizing all of your fund’s prior year’s grantmaking by field of interest, geography, and recipients.
Customized Service & Professional Expertise:
We provide the resources, expertise, and connections to design thoughtful giving strategies tailored to your needs.
The Foundation’s annual fee is 1.5% of the Donor Advised Fund’s assets, a portion of which funds The Foundation’s grants programs.
- Read the Donor Advised Fund Brochure
- Read Foundation Executive Vice President Dan Rothblatt's advice on maximizing your giving
- Meet our donors in Stories of Giving
Interested in exploring more? Contact us at 323.761.8704 or by email.